Warning: This report contains distressing details of child abuse.
SINGAPORE: A man who repeatedly abused a toddler under a year old in horrific ways, because of his grudge against the child’s father, was sentenced to 14 years’ jail on Wednesday (May 20).
Over the span of three months, the 32-year-old man pushed his nephew-in-law’s head into a pail of water, pressed a pillow onto his face and choked him repeatedly until he foamed at the mouth.
The abuse ended only after a woman observed him choking the child at the void deck of a public housing block. She confronted him before calling the police.
Investigations uncovered multiple videos of the man abusing the child, aged nine to 11 months, during the assault. The offender admitted to abusing the boy because he held a grudge against his brother-in-law, who is the child’s father.
All parties in this case cannot be named due to gag orders protecting the victim.
When the case was last heard in April, the prosecution had sought 12 to 15 years’ jail for the Singaporean man, while the defence had asked for eight to 10 years’ jail instead.
In doling out his sentence, District Judge Koo Zhi Xuan described the man’s behaviour as heinous acts that were a “grave affront to human dignity”.
It was deeply distressing to read about the abuse, and the heavy sentence reflects the retribution and general deterrence needed in this case, he added.
The man inflicted severe and lasting harm on the victim, trampling on a moral obligation to not commit harm against an infant who could not speak or defend himself, the judge said.
Noting that the acts were committed while the boy was under his care, the judge said that the man also betrayed the trust placed in him by his wife’s family.
The way the man planned all his abusive acts – engineering occasions to be alone with him and taking advantage of those instances – was an aggravating factor, the judge added.
Unlike some cases of abuse, his actions were not committed in the heat of the moment or borne out of caregiver stress, he noted.
The offender sometimes abused the boy in public at a void deck, which enhances his culpability, the judge said, noting that his actions have shaken the public collective sense of safety and tranquility.
Instead of applying the usual 30 per cent reduction for pleading guilty in the first instance, the judge said that the case was so grave and egregious that it would not be in public interest to do so.
Instead, he applied a 20 per cent reduction, noting that the accused had even recorded all of his abusive acts in 34 videos, so that he could rewatch them.
This behaviour is “highly dehumanising and sickening”, worthy of the strongest condemnation, Judge Koo said.
The man, represented by Mr Amarick Gill from his eponymous law firm, asked to defer his sentence until end-July.
He is still employed, and plans to quit his job at the end of May then serve his one-month notice period, his lawyer said, requesting more time for the man to settle his personal affairs.
Deputy Public Prosecutor James Chew noted that the court had already given the man time to settle his personal affairs after he pleaded guilty in April.
Medical reports found it likely that the abuse had already contributed to the developmental delay in the victim in the form of moderate to severe expressive speech delay and a developmental age of 12 months, although he was 21 months old at the time of assessment, said the prosecution in an earlier hearing.
A speech therapist recommended the victim undergo individual speech and language therapy sessions twice a week for one year, with an expected total cost of S$24,960, the prosecution said on Wednesday.
On top of his sentence, the judge ordered the man to pay the victim’s family S$4,000 in compensation, noting that he definitely did not have the means to pay anything close to the full medical expenses.
The long-term impact on the child’s neurodevelopment was one of the most serious aggravating factors in this case, the judge said on Wednesday.
After delivering his sentence, Judge Koo asked the victim’s parents to come forward to speak to them personally, from one parent to another.
“The severe sentence I’ve imposed reflects how gravely and unjustly your son has been harmed. No child should suffer what your son suffered, and no parent should have to go through what you’re going through now,” he said.
“What happened to him is appalling, but it does not diminish his inherent worth. That remains intact and always will.”
Adding that he hopes the sentence will bring some closure to the boy’s parents, the judge reminded them that it would not be in their son’s interest if they took matters into their own hands.
“Having suffered so much at such a young age, I think your son deserves even greater love and protection. It is my sincere help that he may one day fully recover from this episode.”
Noting that the parents had said that the case has placed an enormous strain on the family and created tensions between them, the judge urged the husband and wife to find strength to work together to help their son heal.
“Your son is truly precious and worthy of your love.”
While the case was on recess, some of the offender’s other relatives approached the victim’s father and both sides started shouting, moving closer to each other. Security had to separate them.





