Singtel seeks clarity on participating in telco consolidation following failed M1-Simba deal

Singtel seeks clarity on participating in telco consolidation following failed M1-Simba deal


SINGAPORE: Singtel is seeking clarification from regulators on whether it can participate in any further moves to consolidate Singapore’s telecommunications market, group chief executive officer Yuen Kuan Moon said on Thursday (May 21) after a planned merger between rivals M1 and Simba fell apart.

“If we are able to participate in the consolidation, we will definitely evaluate where are the opportunities and how we would help lift the industry altogether in Singapore,” he said.

He was responding to questions about Singtel’s interest in acquiring M1 at a media conference following the release of Singtel’s financial results for the full year that ended on Mar 31, 2026.

Asked if there are any anti-trust concerns about Singtel’s interest in acquiring another telco given its Singapore market dominance, Mr Yuen said that such concerns should be directed towards competition regulators. 

“We will definitely consider, but you should ask the regulator,” he said.

On Monday, the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) announced that it suspended the assessment of Simba’s proposed acquisition of M1 after it uncovered a potential regulatory breach during its review process.

IMDA is investigating whether Simba had been using radio frequency bands that were not assigned to it to provide mobile services. 



Read Full Article At Source