SINGAPORE: Six of 40 employees who were dismissed after a company mounted an internal review of staff members’ medical-benefit claims have been awarded “substantial compensation”, after a tribunal found that they had been dismissed wrongfully.
The company has filed applications to appeal the tribunal’s decision in all six cases.
The exact compensation figure was not revealed in a judgment published on Friday (May 15) that anonymised the names of the parties and company involved. The non-disclosure of names is typical in Employment Claims Tribunals cases.
What the tribunal magistrate focused on was the details of one of the six winners named only as Ms C, who was awarded more than S$17,000 (close to US$13,400).
Ms C had submitted 62 reimbursement claims totalling almost S$10,000 between March and September in 2023 for things such as vitamins, supplements and skincare items, without consulting a doctor.
In December 2023, the unnamed company started an internal review of employee medical-benefit claims, after concerns arose about the possible misuse of outpatient medical entitlements.
This was prompted by a high volume of claims submitted for sums incurred at a clinic referred to in the judgment as “Clinic X”. Some employees were suspected of having sought reimbursement for retail items that cannot be claimed under the company’s medical and dental benefits policy.
As part of the review, many workers were investigated and it was found that many of them had made claims for reimbursement that were not permissible under company policy.
The company grouped the workers into tiers, issuing some of them notices to attend a disciplinary inquiry before a disciplinary committee.
At the end, about 40 employees were dismissed after the disciplinary committee assessed that they had intentionally, wilfully or dishonestly committed serious breaches of company policy by making impermissible claims.
Of the 40, eight filed claims in the Employment Claims Tribunals, mainly contending that they had been wrongfully dismissed. One withdrew her case and another proceeded to trial.
The remaining six had their cases heard by the same tribunal magistrate, Mr Jared Kang Chern Wey.
The six had been given notice of their dismissal in mid-April 2024, with the notice running until mid-July 2024.
Each of them had sought an appeal against the company’s disciplinary committee’s findings, but no appeal committee was convened.
Mr Kang said in his judgment that it would “serve neither clarity nor economy to produce six largely repetitive sets of grounds”. Instead, he focused on Ms C’s case.
WHAT HER CASE SHOWS
Ms C started working with the company in September 2021 under a contract that provided three months’ notice of termination.
Her use of Clinic X came about in 2023. The year before, she had not made any reimbursement claims for purchases at Clinic X.
She said that her buys comprised mostly vitamins, supplements and skincare items, which she had submitted under the claims labelled “self”. She had not consulted a doctor at Clinic X for these.




