SINGAPORE – A 26-year-old man was arrested on Dec 21 after a suspicious item was found in St Joseph’s Church in Bukit Timah earlier that day at about 7am.
In a statement on Facebook at about 5.20pm, the police said the man, who is a volunteer with the church, had said he had discovered a suspicious item in a drain within the church premises.
“Thereafter, he immobilised himself and held on to the suspicious item,” they said.
Officers evacuated the premises and the Singapore Armed Forces’ Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Explosive Defence Group was activated.
Following thorough checks, the item, which resembled an improvised explosive device, was assessed at about 10.40am to be three cardboard rolls and wires taped with black tape with no explosive elements present, police said.
It was subsequently removed from the scene and police operations concluded at about 5pm. No injuries were reported.
The man was later arrested under anti-terrorism laws for his suspected involvement in the incident.
Father Christopher Lee, the church’s priest, said at about 4.30pm in a Facebook update that the church was closed on Dec 21, with masses to resume on Dec 22.
He had earlier advised congregants to go to other churches for mass and apologised for any inconvenience.
The police had first put up a Facebook post at about 8.30am saying they were alerted to the incident at 620 Upper Bukit Timah Road at 7.10am. Members of the public were advised to avoid the location while police operations were ongoing.
A churchgoer told The Straits Times that the incident happened before the Chinese-language mass at 7.30am.
Another church member, who wanted to be known only as Mr Koh, said he and his wife noticed a few police cars after they arrived at about 7.25am, only to be told by their priest around 7.45am that mass had been cancelled.
When ST arrived at the church just before 9am, police officers were at the entrance directing vehicles away. No one was allowed to enter the premises. Church volunteers were spotted at the gate and a bus stop nearby advising would-be attendees that mass was cancelled. They could also be heard redirecting congregants to the Church of St Mary of the Angels in Bukit Batok.
Church volunteers telling attendees that mass would be cancelled on Dec 21.
ST PHOTO: DANIEL LAI
At 9.17am, several police and Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) vehicles were seen entering the church premises, along with plainclothes officers.
A notice on the church’s website showed that mass services at 7.30am, 9.30am and 11.30am on Dec 21 were cancelled till further notice.





