‘My heart sank’: Abrupt closure of Korea Artiz Studio leaves engaged couples in limbo

‘My heart sank’: Abrupt closure of Korea Artiz Studio leaves engaged couples in limbo


SINGAPORE: When Ms Lim Ying Xuan saw an advertisement for Korea Artiz Studio online in September last year, she was drawn by their minimalist photoshoot style and decided to visit the wedding photography studio at Carlton Hotel with her fiancé.

They had not planned on buying a package there and then. But the couple had won a cash voucher through a lucky draw at the studio, and could only redeem it if they paid the full amount of S$3,300 for the photoshoot package that day.

Looking back, the arrangement struck her as a bit odd – but the 26-year-old had brushed it off as the studio seemed legitimate.

“At that time I thought it was quite okay. I’m okay to pay that price if it’s legit, like they’re not gonna run away with my money.”

But Ms Lim was among the dozens of customers who were left angry and stunned when the bridal photoshoot studio abruptly closed this week, without offering compensation or delivering photos.

Upset about the injustice, Ms Lim decided to create a Telegram group for affected customers. As of Wednesday evening, the group had over 80 members. In the group, members have aired frustrations, shared advice and recommended alternative studios.

“Creating the group and then realising so many people (are) joining means that so many people are affected,” she said.

“So I feel like I’m less alone in a sense, and I also feel like there may be a slightly higher chance that we may get our money back, because there’s so much money involved and so many people affected.”  

The Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE) said 66 complaints have been lodged between Aug 14 and 18, with pre-payment losses amounting to over S$271,000.

CASE president Melvin Yong said the consumer watchdog has reached out to Korea Artiz Studio to understand whether scheduled photography sessions and services will proceed as planned.

“CASE also sought clarifications on the remedies that will be offered to affected consumers if the services cannot be fulfilled,” he said.

In response to queries from CNA, the police said a report was lodged and investigations are ongoing.

SALARIES UNPAID

Affected customers said they also received a message sent by the company apologising for the “unexpected situation”.

“Due to some recent internal operational issues within the company, all employees have currently not received their salaries owed to them.  


“At the same time, we have been unable to obtain any clear or formal response, update, or further information from the company’s management.




Read Full Article At Source

Share. Save. Don't Miss The Buzz: XFacebookRedditLINETelegramWhatsAppGmail

Leave a Reply