SINGAPORE: Adoptive parents of children brought from Indonesia to Singapore are facing delays in their children’s citizenship applications amid investigations into a suspected Indonesian baby trafficking syndicate.
In a joint media release on Friday (Jan 9), the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) and the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) said that they are aware of the allegations concerning babies being trafficked from Indonesia into Singapore for adoption. The ministries added that Singapore’s government is working closely with Indonesian authorities to review the matter.
This follows a request made in September 2025 by the Indonesia National Police. The Singapore Police Force (SPF) then said it was working with its Indonesian counterparts to investigate an alleged cross-border baby-trafficking syndicate based in West Java, in which three Singaporeans were suspected to be involved.
In July last year, an alleged ringleader was arrested in Jakarta, with Indonesian authorities seizing documents and records suggesting that the syndicate had trafficked at least 25 children, including 15 who had already been sent to Singapore.





