Smooth commute on first day of planned service adjustments on the East-West Line

Smooth commute on first day of planned service adjustments on the East-West Line


SINGAPORE – Many passengers affected by the first day of the East-West Line (EWL) shutdown between Tanah Merah and Expo stations, and between Bedok and Tampines, were relatively unfazed, though some were still unaware of the MRT service changes.

On the ground, things were mostly smooth, and passengers continued their journeys on shuttle buses or via other MRT lines, with the help of an army of crowd marshals.

The service adjustments apply from

Nov 29 to Dec 8

. During this 10-day period, those travelling to Simei and Tanah Merah can take shuttle bus service, Shuttle 7, which runs between Bedok and Tampines stations. A second service, Shuttle 8, plies between Bedok and Expo stations.

Shuttle 7 operates every three to five minutes, while Shuttle 8 runs every 10 minutes.

Shuttle trains run at five-minute intervals between Tampines and Pasir Ris stations, and between Expo and Changi Airport stations. The shuttle train service between Paya Lebar and Bedok stations runs at eight-minute intervals.

These service adjustments for works connecting the existing EWL to the new East Coast Integrated Depot come after a three-day closure between Tanah Merah and Tampines from Dec 7 to Dec 9 in 2024.

The Straits Times spoke with passengers at Changi Airport, Expo and Bedok MRT stations, as well as the bus shuttle stop outside Bedok and Expo stations on the morning of Nov 29.

Mr Ravin, 32, who was waiting to board the shuttle bus to Expo from Bedok to get to his workplace at Changi Business Park said that he knew about the service adjustment about a month ago. He appreciated the smooth arrangements made to help passengers continue their journeys seamlessly.

Mr Alex Tay, 75, was on the way to Eunos from Changi Airport. The retired factory operator said that while he was not aware of the service adjustments, he was able to find his way around as there were marshals to help.

Mr Zaini, 55, who was on his way to Expo from Jurong for a sports and fitness festival, was also not aware of the service adjustments but said: “Everything has been quite comfortable so far, so no complaints.”



Read Full Article At Source